Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our vacation 2008 Part 3

Sunday, July 27, 2008

We headed into Annapolis today. I loved it. I hope to go back. It is the capital of Maryland and it has the state building which has a fascinating history. In Annapolis is also BBU, Belly Button University, commonly referred to as the Naval Academy. We did not go there, but I hope that we will. They give free tours as long as everyone who is over 16 has a picture ID. There are plenty of row houses and old shops and I could probably spend an entire week there for a vacation.

On our way into town we stopped at Home Depot. Hannah’s car seat is wobbly and sliding all over the seat so we got a piece of wood to put under it. We are hoping it will stabilize it. A woman there gave us all sorts of suggestions for things to do in town. It took us another ten minutes from there to get to the water. We found a pretty good parking space. Parking spaces are not easy to come by.


Once we got parked we looked around for a little while letting the children shop. The sky started to get dark while we ate at Subway for lunch. It started drizzling while we were in there and then storming shortly after we walked out. Oh my Goodness, what a storm! A huge bolt of lightning temporary shut off all of the lights on the street we were on, it scared the day lights out of me. I had asked a shopkeeper what we should expect from the dark sky and she said that it should rain for a short time and then quickly blow over. Some of the kids wanted to go back to the house so Bob grabbed the keys and an umbrella and ran to the truck. On his way back to us he had to drive all over the place. There are a lot of one way streets. By the time he finally reached us, the rain was almost over! He and Jake took a short drive while the rest of us continued with our shopping and sight seeing. We stopped at a visitor center and got a book with maps and stuff. We met back up and let the kids do some shopping. We got Joe a really cool thank you gift. He is taking care of the house and dogs for us. It is a metal sculpture of a building and it says, “Joe’s Sports Bar.” A perfect gift, if I may say so myself. Bob picked it out.

We left Annapolis around 6:30 and went to an overrated, over priced seafood restaurant. It was PACKED. There was a Boy Scout troop there that we had seen in around town. There were probably 40 or so of them. We got home around 8:00 and saw fireflies. I have not seen them in probably 25 years. I could not believe the lack of interest my kids had in them. I was disappointed.

No comments: