Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tax Collector's Office, Here I come again and again and again!

Our business owns quite a few vehicles and some of the tags expire in June and some in December. Our personal vehicle tags expire in August. On Wednesday August 27th I went to the tax collector's office to renew my personal vehicle that my daughter drives. While I was there I asked if any of my business vehicles had expired. The friendly clerk looked through all of the tags and assured me that all of the vehicle tags that expire in June had been renewed. The very next day August 29th I was in one the of company vehicles and I parked downtown for a couple of hours. When I returned I was quite dismayed to discover that there was a ticket on my windshield. Fortunately for me it was only a warning ticket, but it said that I had an old/expired plate. So back to the tax collector's office I went. A different clerk took the ticket and told me that that particular plate had been replaced and that we probably put it on the wrong truck. So, I immediately went to the shop and sure enough, there the tag was on the wrong vehicle. My husband put it on my truck and I told him that I would go back to the tax collector's office the next day. So the next day, the 30th I went back and a different clerk helped me. I asked her if I could just go ahead and renew it or if it was too soon. The vehicle that was now missing the plate expires in December. She said it was too soon. It would cost me $20 to replace the tag, but then she said if I waited until next month (September) I could renew it. Well, if you have been paying attention to the dates you might have realized that the next business day would be just a few days later, September 2. The first is Labor Day. So, four business days in a row I paid a visit to the tax collector's office.

When I got the plate off of the truck I forgot to take the registration. I asked Bob to grab the registration for me. The next day I called him and asked him if he had grabbed it for me and he said, "no, why did you get pulled over?" I am happy to say that NO I did not get pulled over. So far I have a perfect driving record. I did get one non-moving violation once for having a right rear light out. I was making a right turn and used my hand to signal. There was a cop behind me who pulled me over for not signaling and I said, "I did signal. I used my hand." So he gave me a seven dollar ticket for my light being out. So fast forward to about two days after I asked him to bring the registration. I am on my way some where with two of my boys and sure enough, I am rear ended! Guess what? I DON'T HAVE MY REGISTRATION!!! Well, I didn't get a ticket, but, you guessed it. I have to go back to the tax collector's office to get a copy of my registration.

No comments: