Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome to America

Today I met a woman from Denmark. Whenever I meet a newcomer, not a visitor, from another country I like to ask them a series of questions. I interview them so to speak. I like to ask them culturally speaking what do they like most about the US and what do they miss most about the motherland.



It is funny the things people say. I met a couple from South Africa and spoke to the husband and wife separately. The husband said he misses absolutely nothing (spoken emphatically) about South Africa, the wife said she only misses friends and family, but they are all gone now so she doesn't dwell on it. In fact she was reluctant to even talk about it. One day I met two different English people who both said the same thing. They both like the weather. When I pointed out them that the weather isn't cultural they said that our culture is affected by the weather. We go to the beach because of the weather, we go the park, and sit outside because of the weather. They didn't know each other by the way and were not together when I spoke to them.



People from communist countries never miss anything. Not even the food. I guess that underscores how the smells and tastes of things evoke emotion and memory.



So, wondering what my new friend said? Well, first she hesitated. She wasn't thinking about the question, she was trying to figure out how to say it. A look a relief washed over her face as she seemed to find the right words and said, "Americans are friendly. In Denmark this conversation we are having would not be happening. If you had said hello to me I would have wondered how I know you." Then she sort of cringed and continued, "But, American friendships seem to be more shallow and superficial." I certainly couldn't disagree with her, I have never had a friendship in Denmark. Maybe that is why so many of us make the distinction between friends and acquaintances. Maybe Danes have fewer acquaintances. She also didn't like how few people RSVP and how many show up late to events. I told her that I think that is a Floridian thing, not an American thing.



I like to google customs and traditions for different countries. Some are so funny. I found one that said it is considered impolite to knock on the door of someone in the Netherlands and ask for a tour of their home. I have to wonder where that is not considered impolite. I found out that in the US it is rude to allow the door to shut behind you when there is a person standing there. Again, where is that not rude.

It is fun to look them up. Give it a try and tell me what funny things you have found.

No comments: