Saturday, November 24, 2007

Pay it Forward


We live about a half hour away from a toll bridge that we go over about six times a year. Everytime we go over it with our second daughter, she insists that we pay for the person behind us. It has become a "thing" that our family does now, with her or not. It is kind of cool.
After I pay for us, I give the toll collector another dollar and tell them it is for the car behind us, then I drive away quickly. Occasionally the driver behind us catches up and they hardly ever wave hello or thank you, or anything else acknowledging our gift. It doesn't upset us or anything its just weird. One day my husband had to go over the bridge and lo and behold, the toll collector told him that the person in front of him had paid for him already! My husband told me that when he pulled away from the toll he tried to find the car that had been in front of him, but couldn't remember what it looked like. Now the mystery had been solved. The people don't usually wave thanks, because they don't know who I am. So to all of you going over toll bridges, pay it forward every once in a while. It will give you a smile, and if you don't get a thanks, that's okay. Your smile should be thanks enough.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Very cool. I like that idea.