Monday, October 22, 2007

PT 5 Dallas Airport

Remember when I had you picture me raising my eyebrow at the comment that the SP in Phoenix was paying close attention to everything that was in the bags? What I said exactly was:

As each bag is scanned by the machine SP#1 watches the monitor closely (You need to imagine seeing my right eyebrow go up as if to say, "Yeah right". I will explain more about that later).

It is four o'clock in the morning, in Dallas and we are going through security. We did not have to check any bags because we already checked them all in Phoenix. We have again, taken off our shoes, loaded the car seat, loaded the stroller, you get the picture. This time, however, we DECLARE the gun ahead of time. The SP (who does not yell or treat us like imbeciles,) tells us that is fine, just set the gun aside, now I know what that means, so I put it in its own tray. We move along without event. We all get through the x-ray machine, put the gun back into the bag from whence it came and another SP takes the bag and moves to a different table. I know this is hard to imagine, but there was no yelling to close down the line, no yelling to turn over the car seat, there was a request that I take the car seat apart, but they actually believed me when I told them it didn't come apart! I did not know why it was taken to another table until the SP started going through it. He took out a large tube of toothpaste, I said, "throw it away", the a tube of nasty gelatinous candy, I said, "throw it away", a small bottle of mouthwash that my husband had in this bag for probably five years, and I said, you guessed it, "throw it away". After all of my stuff has found a new home in the trash can the SP informs me that the gun has to be checked and can not be carried on. Hmmmmm. Does that mean that none of my stuff actually had to be thrown away? It could have all been checked with the gun. Oh well!

Do you know what that means? That means that we consolidate our carry on stuff, someone, I mean I take it to the counter, check it, answer all of the questions- no there are not explosives in this bag, and then that's right, go through security again. Take off the shoes, empty the pockets, get x-rayed, get puffed, fill my pockets, put on the shoes, and find my family who is waiting at a little cafe eating breakfast. We ate our breakfast, drank our coffee, waited patiently for the plane, boarded, rested, disembarked in Tampa, claimed our luggage, got a gigantic cart for all of our stuff, stepped out into the sauna that we call Florida, found our truck, loaded it up and headed for home. It took two hours to get home and ten minutes to discover that one our our bags was left at the Tampa Airport. It is funny today. Want to go with us on our next vacation?

This was still nothing compared to the vacation we have dubbed "The Vacation from Hell". If I run out of things to say, or if I have requests I will share that some time.

No comments: